Wednesday, February 18, 2015

How our beliefs affect how we care for others

Prior to taking this quiz, and truthfully reading some of the material thus far in the class, I never would have thought that any beliefs or prejudices I have would affect the level of care I would give patients. We all have prejudices even when we don't express them, I believe that is just human nature. I've been working in customer facing service jobs for almost two decades now so I have learned to not let them affect how I treat people. However after taking this quiz I can definitely see some areas for improvement. Weeding through my results I saw my biggest problem was actually reading the question incorrectly when it asked to choose the one that was NOT something. That is of course something I need to work on because it shows that I jump to conclusions without patiently and attentively reading/listening!

Aside from those errors though, I am finding that one of my biggest areas of opportunity is the understanding of non-Western medicinal views. I am very much a medicine and scientific/technological intervention type of person. I would never openly express to a patient that I thought their views on acupuncture or shamanism were ridiculous but I would definitely struggle with finding the value in it, especially over medical practice. I think I could understand the need they have to do it in addition to what western medicine and science has to offer them, but I think it will definitely take me some time to adjust to the idea that they wouldn't choose the proven scientific method first. This is a huge area for me when it comes to people opting out of vaccinating their children for religious or other reasons.

I am looking forward to learning more about different perspectives and cultural views on health and wellness and how I can incorporate this into my future work.

No comments:

Post a Comment